Gain insights from the CEO of WLSA on Bupropion as a medical solution for weight loss. Felicity Cohen and her team of medical experts have coached over 20,000 Australians to end their diet rollercoaster. She shares her expertise and advice on this trending topic. Learn about the drug’s primary uses, its role in weight management, and the importance of a holistic approach to healthy living.
What is Bupropion?
In Australia, Bupropion is an approved anti-depressant prescriptive medication. According to Mayo Clinic, Bupropion is used to treat depression and prevent depression in patients with seasonal affective disorder (SAD), which is sometimes called winter depression. It is also used as part of a support program to help people stop smoking. There are two products containing bupropion currently included on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods – Zyban SR and Contrave 8/90.
In this conversation, we delve into the topic of using Bupropion for weight loss with Felicity Cohen, an experienced weight loss coach, who provides valuable advice on the subject. Bupropion, primarily used as an antidepressant, is gaining attention for its potential benefits in weight management. However, it is crucial to understand its proper use and consider a holistic approach to overall health and well-being.
1. Bupropion: An Antidepressant with Weight Loss Potential
- Bupropion is primarily prescribed to treat major depressive disorder and seasonal affective disorder.
- As an oral medication, it is also used to aid smoking cessation.
- While weight loss may be observed as a side effect, it is not the drug’s intended purpose.
2. Contrave: A Combination Medication for Weight Loss
- Contrave is an oral tablet medication that combines naltrexone, used to address addictive behaviours, with bupropion.
- This combination has shown promise in managing weight loss and reducing weight-related medical complications.
3. Holistic Approach to Weight Loss
- Weight loss should primarily focus on preventing chronic diseases and improving overall health.
- Long-term goals should include reducing reliance on medications for conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
- Bupropion, often prescribed as part of a weight loss program or as a component of the prescription medication called Contrave (naltrexone plus bupropion), is just the starting point for a comprehensive approach to weight management..
4. Considerations and Multidisciplinary Approach
- Individual assessments and diagnoses are crucial before considering any treatment plan.
- A multidisciplinary team involving medical professionals, nurses, dieticians, psychologists, and surgeons may be necessary.
- Lifestyle interventions, such as exercise and overall wellness, should be prioritized over medication reliance.
5. Seeking Professional Guidance and Avoiding Comparison
- Individuals seeking weight loss solutions should consult qualified professionals rather than relying on social media or self-diagnosis.
- Personal goals and health concerns should take precedence over comparisons with others.
- Avoid feeling like a failure and reach out for professional help to find appropriate solutions.
Can Bupropion Help You Lose Weight?
What are the side effects of Bupropion Australia?
Referring to Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), the side effects of Bupropion include:
- Mental status changes, for example, agitation, hallucinations, coma;
- Autonomic instability, for example, tachycardia, labile blood pressure, hyperthermia;
- Neuromuscular abnormalities, for example, hyperreflexia, incoordination, rigidity;
- Gastrointestinal symptoms for example, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
Is bupropion bad for you long term?
Even though Bupropion can be an effective therapy for depression, long-term use can lead to other health complications. Some clinical studies have found long-term intake of Bupropion to be associated with acute liver injury. The likelihood of developing long-term effects of Bupropion can vary from person to person.
While Bupropion may offer potential benefits for weight loss, it is essential to approach weight management holistically. Understanding the drug’s primary uses, seeking professional guidance, and prioritizing lifestyle interventions can lead to more sustainable and long-lasting results. Emphasizing overall health and well-being is key to achieving successful weight loss outcomes.
Speak to one of the WLSA care teams to find out which medical weight loss solutions are suitable for your sustainable weight loss journey. Start a chat with us now. Click here and type Bupropion to redeem your Complimentary Initial Weight Loss Assessment.